This article is for installing the Authy authentication app on your mobile device and then setting up two-factor authentication (2FA) on your personal Fergus login.
While Authy is the authentication app we recommend, you're welcome to use any other authentication apps and their setup processes will be basically the same as Authy's.
This article will cover the following points:
Adding Fergus to Authy
If you already have an authentication app on your device you can skip the app installation and set up stage.
Note: the Authy app can only be set up using the desktop version of Fergus. If you're setting up two-factor authentication on the Fergus mobile app, you'll need to use SMS as your two-factor authentication.
Open your phones app store and install the Twilio Authy app. Alternatively, you can download the desktop version of Authy.
Open Authy and enter in your mobile number and email address.
Select how you'd like to verify your phone is active, either via SMS or phone call. We recommend SMS.
Once the SMS is received, either type the code into Authy or select the link in the SMS message. The latter option might ask you for permission to open the app, in which case confirm yes.
Note: If you've installed Authy on your desktop, remember to update your mobile number in Authy's settings whenever your number changes.
Adding Fergus to Authy
1. Login to your Fergus account. If you don't have two-factor authentication set up on your profile you will be taken straight to the two-factor authentication set up page.
2. Press Enable two-factor authentication to begin.
3. Select Use a Auth App as your security method and press Continue.
4. Fergus will prompt you to install an authentication app if you don't have one. Since you installed one in the section above, press Continue.
5. Back in your phones Authy app, press the plus symbol " + " to add a new authenticator account to your Authy app and then press Scan QR Code. You may be prompted to give Authy permission to use your devices camera for this.
6. Scan the QR code displayed on Fergus into Authy. Once a security code appears on your Authy app, press Continue in Fergus.
Alternatively, you can enter your key in manually, then enter the Account Name & Key showing on Fergus into Authy and turn on Time-Based in Authy.
7. Enter the 6-digit security code that appears in Authy into Fergus and press Continue.
8. Success! Your two-factor authentication is now set up and all future logins will now require you to enter a security code found in your authenticator app.